Each year, a significant portion of people who sign up for the WordCount Blogathon are beginning bloggers. They’re taking the challenge to learn more about blogging and what will help take their blogs from startups to superstars.
To help them, and anyone else who’s considering starting a blog, here are some of the most popular posts that I’ve written over the years on the subject:
- Bad beginnings: 10 newbie blogging mistakes & how to fix them – Don’t just write about yourself, and other tips.
- How to pick a topic for a blog – Write about what you know, or what you want to know better.
- The well-dressed blog post – Meta descriptions, keywords and other essential elements that every blog post should have.
- 8 essential reasons to put links in your blog posts – Adding links to posts shows readers you’re part of a bigger conversation, it’s good blogging etiquette, and it saves you from having to explain or define things every time you write about them.
- Dear WordCount: How long should a blog post be? – The sweet spot is…….
- 5 ways to blog every day without freaking out – Plan ahead, and pre-write when you need to.
- Top 10 strategies to drive traffic to your blog – Be timely, funny, sexy – and don’t skirt controversy.
- 6 surefire strategies to get more comments on your blog – Start by reading and commenting on other blogs.
- 10 sure cures for blogging burnout – Jot ideas directly into draft mode on your blog as soon as you have them, and more suggestions.
- 5 reasons you should obsess over blog stats – Monitor page views to see what kinds of topics readers like best.