You can take the reporter out of the newsroom, but you can’t take the newsroom out of the reporter. After working as a newspaper staff writer, I’ve created a successful career as an independent journalist covering business, technology and workplace issues for print and online media. I also blog about the media business at WordCount: Freelancing in the Digital Age.
- Editor, Inside Edge, startup website for CFOs launching in Q1 2010 from American Express and Federated Media. Responsibilities include creating website editorial plan and feature story lineup, collaborating on editorial processes and social-media promotional strategy, securing contributing writers and assigning and copyediting stories, and coordinating links, SEO and other story elements. October 2009 to present.
- Contributing editor, Crain Communication’s Workforce Management, reporting on recruiting, employee benefits, HR technology, outsourcing and retirement planning. 2005 to present.
- Freelance writer, regularly contributing stories on business, finance, technology, security, careers and other topics for Conde Nast Portfolio.com, CBS MoneyWatch.com, IncTechnology.com, Oregonian, Oregon Business, LearnVest.com, Studio One Networks and other national business magazines and trade publications. 2004 to present.
- Freelance writer, regular contributor to Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, The Industry Standard, Internet World, Inc. Small Business Report, CNET and other publications. 1995 to 2000.
- Columnist, Reuters weekly Livewire Internet column. 1995-2000.
Speaker, panelist, instructor
- Adjunct professor, USC Annenberg School of Communications, online news writing. 2002
- News industry conference presenter, WeMaketheMedia.com; Portland Digital Journalism Camp. 2009
- Social media conference presenter, Shop Symposium 09 Portland; Willamette University MBA School. 2009
Daily newspaper reporter
- Technology beat writer, Orange County Register, covering the Internet, telecom, cable TV and computer industry. 1989-1995.
- Created and wrote paper’s weekly Plugged In computer column.
- Part of business news team that created and edited weekly BusinessMonday section.
- Part of features team that launched and produced weekly HomeTech section.
- Staff writer, Orange County Business First, weekly business journal
- Editor, Homecare Magazine, monthly healthcare trade magazine
- Associate editor, Homecare Magazine
- Marquette University, Graduate School of Journalism, grant recipient, research assistant
- Loyola Marymount University, BA, English, magna cum laude, editor, Los Angeles Loyolan