Hard as it is to get away when you run your own business, it’s important to take time off to recharge mentally and physically.
I’m following my own advice this week and taking a little much needed R&R.
Here are my top 10 reasons why vacations are important:
1. You need a break from the constant pitching, reporting and writing.
2. Stepping away from the daily grind can give you some perspective on where your business is headed, and help determine if you like where it’s going or want to steer it in a different direction.
3. The change of pace or scenery could lead to story ideas.
4. You’ll finally get the chance to finish – or start – the books that have been piling up on your nightstand, and they too could lead to story ideas.
5. You work hard week in and week out – shouldn’t you reward yourself every once in a while, even if only for a long weekend, for your labors?
6. Writing can be a very sendentary occupation – some extra physical activity will do your body good.
7. Call it Murphy’s law of freelancing – the big call back, project or email you’ve been waiting for will inevitably arrive while you’re gone – so what are you waiting for, get lost – but bring your laptop or smartphone with you.
8. Speaking of laptops, if you really have to, you can always go away and bring it with you to sneak in a little work.
9. You owe it to the people in your life to step away from the keyboard every once in a while to do more than throw in another load of laundry, make dinner or drive somebody to baseball practice.
10. The world’s pretty cool and you’re not getting any younger.