It’s hard to jump straight from writing “The End” on one assignment to “Once upon a time” on the next. Sometimes you need a mental break in between, even if it’s a short one. Think of it as a palate cleanser between courses.
I recharge the old writing batteries by doing a quick activity between two deadlines that’s not related to either one. Depending on how crunched for time I am, it might be for 5 minutes or up to an hour.
To mentally recharge between stories I like to:
* Take a walk.
* Have lunch.
* Catch up on the news, online or in the paper.
* Do a load of laundry.
* Runs errands.
* Walk outside to get the mail.
* Take a shower.
* Send a contract or invoice.
* Pay bills or deposit a check.
* Answer email.
* Read message boards I subscribe to.
* File papers.
* Update my calendar.
* Send an editor a pitch or two.
What do you do for a mental break?